Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Title spotlight - "Fellside" by M.R. Carey

Christmas comes early for me this year in the form of the recently announced new novel by Mike Carey. I now it’s still too early to talk about Christmas gifts, I am not the one to enjoy all the holiday decorations already popping out around the local shops or the TV commercials dressed in season clothes, but the news of M.R. Carey’s “Fellside” are as good as a Christmas present for me. Over the past several years Mike Carey’s books have easily become a reading priority for me. Starting with the Felix Castor novels, part of a series that changed my preconceived view of urban fantasy, followed by “The Steel Seraglio/The City of Silk and Steel” and “The House of War and Witness”, two novels written together with his wife and daughter, Linda and Louise, that are one more beautiful than the other, and ending with “The Girl With All the Gifts”, written under the already mentioned penname M.R. Carey, an engaging and thrilling book that kept me breathless (not through all its length mind you, otherwise I would be dead right now, but you get my meaning), these are the kind of books I count among my favorites. As a matter of fact, I would find it very difficult to name just one of Mike Carey’s novels as my favorite without referring to all the others. Next year, on April, Orbit Books will release another, “Fellside”, which by the first look stands proud next to the others. We have little to go by so far, a small synopsis, the unremarkable cover (but you could sell me a Mike Carey’s book even without one) and the first two pages of the novel available on io9, but it is enough for me to jump with joy at the thought of reading “Fellside” next year.

Fellside is a maximum security prison on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors. It’s not the kind of place you’d want to end up. But it’s where Jess Moulson could be spending the rest of her life.
It’s a place where even the walls whisper.
And one voice belongs to a little boy with a message for Jess.
Will she listen?

No comments: